BASIS stands for ‘Business Application Software Integrated Solution’ which falls under the umbrella of SAP and is a collection of programs and tools which behave as an interface with Database, Operating System, Business Applications (FI, CO, MM) and Communication Protocols. An SAP BASIS tutorial will reveal that SAP applications can share information and communicate with each other across various Operating Systems and Databases using BASIS. The software has been renamed as ‘NetWeaver’.
All about SAP BASIS
- The powerful administration of Relational Database Management System, SAP GUI, and client-server architecture are some of the features advocated by SAP Basis.
- It also solves any problems that arise while installing, configuring, updating, patching, migrating, and troubleshooting any SAP system. Basis also comes with powerful user administration, system administration, and other monitoring tools.
- The SAP horizon is expanding everyday on multiple levels. Most customers commence SAP implementation with SAP ERP, but the horizon expands when its encompasses other applications such as BI, Portal, PI, CRM, and SRM. Basis is used for the successful administration of these applications. The most commendable part is the fact that a single tool is used for the administration of such a big landscape.
- Basis can be considered as the operating system that drives SAP applications and ABAP. Communication with the operating system, database communication, memory management, web requests, runtime collection of application data, and exchanging business data are the services provided by Basis.
Functionalities of Basis tools
- The complete utilization of system monitoring and administration tools.
- The establishment of the Computing Centre Management System which is a common monitoring tool used to monitor the alerts of R/3 systems from one place.
- Business server pages are used to build online portals and stores.
- Monitoring of databases and administration utilities.
- Authorization and profile management tools for user management.
- Prudent use of resources such as memory and buffer.
- Control of the internet access to the system. Business projects also receive limited access.
- Availability of transport management system for transferring and changes in the screen, layout, and program from the development to the production of a system.
- A graphical user interface is available to design the presentation layer as per the company’s requirements.
The responsibilities held by SAP Basis consultants
SAP Basis is instrumental in connecting applications, operating systems, and databases. A consultant who advocates SAP Basis should be familiar with the following responsibilities-
- ABAP dump, system log analysis, and proficiency in monitoring SAP application servers.
- Maintaining the database, creating a database backup schedule, and restoration facilities.
- Tuning the performance of the system.
- The consultant should be well-versed with R/3, NetWeaver, and solution manager installation.
- Creating the client profile and deleting the client profile.
- Creating the user profile, locking and unlocking the user, and assigning the roles required.
- Scheduling required jobs in the background, deleting and monitoring jobs.
- Maintaining all profiles and operation modes.
- Application of support patches, upgrading and installing system add-ons.
- Error detection and correction in the implementation of any application.
- System refreshing and copying activities.